Before I share her post, I must share a little bit about her. Megan is 16 yrs old, the daughter of two preacher’s kids, and home schooled by my wife. In our home, we teach tolerance and respect of all people–no exceptions! What prompted this note that she posted on Facebook is the litany of postings/shares from her friends and some extended family…she told me that she just had to get these feelings outside of herself or she was going to explode. Seeing comments on her Facebook page that anger her is what ignited this treasured note (titled “Some Things on My Mind”):
I have two things on my mind that I want to say.
Here’s the first one: hate me for this if you will, but I happen to like gays and lesbians. I’d never really thought much about them until I liked two gay singers, Andy Bell of Erasure and Boy George from Culture Club. I loved these men for their music, and whenever I enjoy them, I forget about anything and everything concerning their sexuality. I have no reason to have a grudge against gay people, unless they have physically hurt me, etc. Even though I believe in God, I think that, since He loves all people, that surely He loves gays and lesbians-they have their place in His heart.
Lastly: though I have not fully contemplated on abortion yet, I do have some certain beliefs. Talking about going to the March for Life is OK-showing pictures of aborted fetuses is something different. There’s surely a better way to show the truth about abortion than to terrify, or even anger, some people with such graphic pictures. Also, I think that we need to look at abortion from a social view. What choices are both men and women making when they do what they do? Think not of the pill-ignore it completely-but of the decisions that both the man and woman make.
That’s all I have to say. I’ve no doubt that some of you will not like my ideas. That is to be expected. You may unfriend me if you wish. But I hope that you understand that I mean not to hurt anyone with my ideas or impose them upon anybody. I only mean to express to you what I honestly feel. Sincerely, Megan
I couldn’t be more proud of her for respectfully expressing herself in such an succinct and elegant way!
As for me, someone who grew up in church; I’m quite disgusted at the behavior/comments of many “so-called Christians” whose behavior resembles nothing close to one of the most well-known men to walk this earth–Jesus!
- Catholic Chaplain: “In this Bethlehem, there’s always room for everyone in the inn.” (queeringthechurch.com)
- Laura Robson caught up in gay-rights storm (independent.co.uk)
- Scott Lively Says Gay Rainbow Flag a Sign of the End Times: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Flap over rainbow flag in the Castro (sfgate.com)
- Activists Arrested in Arkhangelsk, Russia in Test of ‘Gay Propaganda’ Law (towleroad.com)
- Don Moreland, longtime supporter of gay rights, dies (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Former champ Court makes controversial comments at Aussie Open (cbssports.com)
- Tea Party Voters Question Gay GOP Candidate After Scandal (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Bad War Against Marriage Equality (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Ireland Should Provide Women With Some Access To Abortion (forcechange.com)
- Gov. McDonnell Says Marriage Equality Should Be Left To The States, But Claims Gays Make Inferior Parents (thinkprogress.org)
- Daniel Pokorney, Oregon Mayor, Apologizes For Anti-Gay Marriage Posts On Facebook (huffingtonpost.com)
- REALITY SHIFT : Gay Marriage vs. The Bible (tetratrinitychronicles.wordpress.com)
- The Maryland State Senate Just Passed A Bill To Legalize Gay Marriage (businessinsider.com)